Thursday, January 28, 2010

Reaction to Class Discussion and Lee Mun Wah's film "The Color of Fear"

I think this week was a great start for the semester. The video allowed a visual for a discussion on Multiculturalism, bias and racism. The model itself was innovative because discussion is the first step to eradicating racism and implementing such practices as multiculturalism in schools. The message was clear of the men of color in the film; all men may be equal but they are not the same. This was the basis of Victor's outburst as we witnessed him at his wit's end and his decision to take a stand against tolerating David (the white male's) colorblind views. Although a disagreement with Victor's reaction was stated in class, I saw his blow-up as essential and inevitable. I do not know what it means to be a Black male in America but Victor's anger against a racist society was evident and I think that it is his right to release all this pent up anger. This point was necessary in the beginning of his own healing as well as opening the eyes of others around him. Victor made a very powerful statement addressing the oppressive actions of whites. He replies to a comment made by David which implied that people of color may be their own barrier and that they should all stand on their own. Victor replied,"we don't always stand on our own ground, some men stand on other men and other women." This was in my opinion, the most powerful statement made throughout the video. I believe that in saying this Victor wasn't attacking David but attacking a people with a history of oppression, a people with a history of exploiting others and their land for their own personal gain.I think this is relevant to schooling because after such oppressive actions, the culture of dominance is perpetuated through schools where fallacies  and complete omission of peoples histories are taught. So after such men stand on those around them, they dictate what is said about their history and in turn minimize their history, culture and very being.




http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vAbpJW_xEc
a snippet of "The Color of Fear"

5 comments:

  1. How did those reactions help you question your own attitudes towards multiculturalism? Are you saying that Victor was justified? Or are you just saying you understand his reaction. What about when David said that Vic's attitude toward "the man" could be what's preventing us from achieving racial harmony? Is that also justified?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you about Victor's outburst. He was not attacking David, he was letting out his frustrations and giving his point of view in a positive way. Letting out anger in small groups like the one in the video prevents violence and harm to others. I also think that Victor's statement is a powerful one. It makes you think about history and how that still happens today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. KMS- I think I was able to question my attitudes towards multiculturalism because although I have already come to my own beliefs that a lot of US systems including schooling need to be renovated and in some sense be multicultural, I have not seen it as big an issue as displayed by the reactions in the video. I have at times been as mad as Victor and in others been as oblivious as David. So I think this just allowed me just begin to actually focus my own thoughts on the issue as well as realize that it is something that is necessary to the advancement of the US as a society, There were very clear implications of this in the readings for this week. I guess in all I am saying that Victor is justified. A lot of racist actions are done by people like David who have no idea that what they are doing is wrong. But as I stated in class unconscious racism or biases are still wrong. David is lucky to not have to address these things that he "doesn't know" are wrong. Victor on the other hand lives this. So in that sense I think it is his right to have reacted the way he did. I am undecided on David's comment about Victor's attitude toward "the man" is a barrier. I can see why he would think that because often people do get consumed by the smaller issues and at times direct their frustrations in the wrong direction. I think that the barrier is much bigger than "the man" or Victor's attitude towards "him". There are inequalities embedded in US systems that are structural and have no connection to "the man". So I feel like even if Victor didn't feel oppressed by "the man" there are so many other things that would hold him back.

    Alyssia- I do agree that this was a positive outlet. A lot of times racism is ignored and is sort of like the elephant in the room. It is such a taboo topic in society because no one wants to admit that racism still exists. But because racism has such a rich history in the US there is no to eradicate it without having outlets such as these where people can speak freely about their frustrations with a broken society and system.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like that you understand David as simply being oblivious, and not necessarily racist. I interpretted David's colorblindness as violent in a way as it really trivialized the experiences and real, perpetual institutional obstacles that the men of color faced to becoming fully "human" or "American." Would you frame it the same way? That there is a question of humanity at work? Or do you think that that argument was too far?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not saying David isn't racist. I think that his obliviousness is a form of covert racism. He is not openly racist but not facing facts and educating himself and removing certain statements from his dialog is in my opinion a form of racism.I agree with your statement. Being oblivious allowed David to minimize Victor's experience and made it seem like he was dealing with "American" or "human" issues. To an extent their may be a question of humanity but I think that part is more minute and that Victor was addressing some real and valid issues that black men are subject to in America.

    ReplyDelete