Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Expanding on the Conversation of Racism...

In our conversation this week in class the conversations became a bit candid and even comedic at times, when discussing the issues of race and racism. You could sense some uncomfortable-ness by the lack of talking by some, the confusion by some and then offense by others. A very important question came up in the conversation when someone asked "why can't black people be racist?" This is something I feel very strongly about and just want to expand my thoughts as to why I don't think black people can be racist.
The basis of my argument is that prejudice and racism are two completely distinct terms. Racism, as we have discussed can not be deduced to interpersonal relationships, but is a system of advantage. The determining factor of who is advantaged and who isn't is based on race. Racism in the US is built on a historic system of oppression. This system includes cultural devaluation of the other, while exalting the culture of the majority. This is coupled with beliefs that are supported by institutional policies and practices. Based on these premises it is clear that the US operates as a racist system in which whites inherit a status of advantage while people of color are subjected to a position of disadvantage. A status of advantage grants power which lead to the institutionalizing of racist beliefs and practices.This system of advantage is referred as white privilege, which we began to discuss. As I stated Peggy McIntosh is responsible for writing a piece on the societal privileges available to whites that aren't available to people of color. I am reposting it again. http://www.antiracistalliance.com/Unpacking.html. I think this brings to reality for many whites who are unaware of the benefits of being white.
Based on the definition of racism being grounded by power, I contend that blacks can not be racist. I can not place myself in my classmates shoe and think of a racially "hatefully charged word" like Nigger to call a white person who has wronged me in some way. I can't use such a word against a white person and at once assault them with a history of oppression and degradation. I can not benefit systemically by being racist. A black person can exhibit prejudice attitudes or behaviors. So in all I do not believe a black person can be racist.



Here is Dave Chapelle addressing issues of racism through comedy. We discussed this on Monday for a bit. He touches on issues of white privilege and the use of the word Nigger
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VU28Pv26nNQ&NR=1

9 comments:

  1. You say the blacks can't be racist. But what about a black person being racist on other blacks (internal racism) I know of whites who say they are 'racist' against other whites. Although, I never thought of racism referring to the disadvantage population. I always thought of racism consisting of traits that are undesirable. So that could be a white person toward a black person or a black person toward another white person. I see your point of view but am not sure I 100% agree with it.
    Although I did enjoy the Dave Chapelle video...I can still appreciate good comedy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I am black and "racist" against other blacks what are my systemic gains? I don't get a position of advantage by being "racist" against blacks" Your definition is based on interpersonal relations, individual beliefs and actions. That ignores a system of institutionalized racism. I've never heard of internal racism, I have heard of internalized racism which is something totally different

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never thought of racism in those terms before either. I always put prejudice and racism together and thought they meant the same thing. I actually had this argument with one of my friends also of whether or not black people can be racist but it makes sense the way you put it, "What is there to gain?" I agree with what you said about "hatefully charged words" for white people. I can't think of any negative words used against white people that can compare at all to other words used against other races or cultures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely agree with your posting this week. Iliana, if one person is racist to their own kind, it is usually a result of self hatred, that comes from the term Nickecia stated above; internalized racism (the internalizing of racism). Do understand that Blacks did not construct this oppression. People grow up in a country where they are told they are no good. Some embrace this and fall into a state of self hatred, which they later display to others, making others feel less than they are. I don't think a Black person would hate another Black person if the White man didn't construct reasons to do so. With that said, there are exceptions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that your last paragraph contrasting how there are not such racially hatefully charged words for white people is very true. I was trying to figure out a way to word it and express it in my blog but couldn't, you did it really well. Because of power whites are able to create such hateful demeaning words for others, and with the n word it very much so has a long and horrible history. Even ethnic slurs that whites have within themselves do not have so much force behind them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Could it be possible for fundamentalist Black Christian culture, being part of a hegemonic superior, to exercise power over a religious minority that happens to be white? In that case, the basis would not be race however, which could problematize my thought.

    In countries where Blacks are the dominant power, such as Caribbean nations, can we call it a racist practice then when Caribbeans of European ancestry are denied advancement? Can we also call it racism when in these countries white Caribbean are granted advancement because they are white? And in that case, can the Blacks be said to be racist?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with Darren, granted we are looking at it from the U.S. standpoint but do we really know what goes on in other countries? I think racism, can be against any race that is not a majority in a country not just blacks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for your different standpoints Darren. They question my views in a very intellectual way. What it comes down to, I am addressing and speaking on my views of racism in the UNITED STATES. White is superior here. Therefore, in the US racism is an act by whites and white institutions. I don't know much about race relations in Caribbean countries although my parents are of west indian background.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, Darren, what you're referring to is racism. However, in the context of the United States, racism has a larger and more oppressive meaning than in many other contexts.

    ReplyDelete