Sunday, March 21, 2010

Go Tell It On The Mountain...

This past Thursday Sigma Gamma Rho and Malik Fraternity held a program which invited Reverend Erwin Lee Trollinger to speak on the plight of inner city youth. The purpose of this program was to discuss the "threats and uncertainties of inner city youth". Reverend Trollinger has been working with inner city youth in Mount Vernon for about 20 years. He is the director of a community center and from the recounting of his experiences he has seen it all when it comes to youth within the inner city. I commend Rev. Trollinger for his commitment and dedication to youth in need especially those within the foster care system. But I must say, I was left unimpressed by the program.


I felt that Rev. Trollinger would be most effective speaking to those he seeks to help more. It sounded more as a motivational speech and I think that would have been more appropriate for youth in which he was more versed in addressing. I am fully aware of the need to mentor youth from the community I am from and this is the very basis of my career choice. So I think although Rev. Trollinger's speech was very well presented, I feel that he brought nothing new to the discussion on helping black youth. I felt as though I had heard everything he said before, such as being a positive role model for kids in my "hood" and  mentoring those who may not be on the right path. I would have wished for something more thought provoking, something fresh on this issue.


The video that was shown before he began to speak was insightful. But once again brought up arguments that I have already heard.  The statistic presented were rather grim associated with students of color, it was said that there was only a 50% high school graduation rate. Which meant 50% of students of color were dropping out of high school. The video also made a connection between schooling and imprisonment. There is a connection between failing schools and successful prisons. In fact, in the US fourth grade reading scores are used to predict how much prisons will be needed as stated in the video. I spent some time trying to find a credible source to validate this assertion but had a hard time, nevertheless I can't say I doubt it. This then connects to the multi-billion dollar business of prisons, because full prisons means cheap labor. And this translates to a modern form of slavery. This is what I took most from the program.


Knowing the statistics and what potentially happens to youth of color from the inner city, I do see the need in me being a mentor and example for those in my community. But I hope that by taking on the career choice that I am, I will be able to move beyond being a mentor and facilitate change in some of the systemic and structural issues that may be the cause of the "plight of inner city youth".

No comments:

Post a Comment